![]() |
|
|
Browse by Region
|
Six-month extension of the work of UN Human Rights Council in Darfur and continued refusal to hand over ICC suspects to The Hague
26 June 2007
Dear all,
Please find below excerpts from media articles about the six-month extension of the work of the UN Human Rights Council in Darfur and Sudan's continued refusal to hand over ICC suspects to The Hague. Please take note of the Coalition's policy on situations before the ICC (below), which explicitly states that the CICC will not take a position on potential or pending situations before the court. The Coalition, however, will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC. Regards, Mariana Rodriguez Pareja CICC Spanish Information Services Officer and Latin America Analyst [email protected] ********************************************************************* I. UN EXTENDS WORK OF HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL AND SAYS CIVILIANS STILL TARGET OF ATTACKS i. "UN rights body extends Darfur mission by six months," Agence France Presse, 21 June 2007, http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article22479 or http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/SHES-74CNR6?OpenDocument "The United Nations Human Rights Council on Wednesday decided to extend the work of its experts present in the strife-torn Sudanese western region of Darfur for a further six months. The decision was adopted by consensus and under its terms the experts will submit an update to the council in September, and a final report to the following session. In a report to the council last week, the seven experts highlighted 'the seriousness of ongoing violations of human rights and international humanitarian law in Darfur as well as the lack of accountability of perpetrators of such crimes.' They urged the council to adopt more than 30 detailed "recommendations" or targets that Sudan should meet - including clear orders to stop attacks on civilians, disarming militia and full cooperation with the International Criminal Court - in the short term (three months) and the mid term. They also included indicators - such as the numbers of attacks in Darfur or the number of people handed over to the ICC - that would allow an assessment of progress, and a list of practical assistance or equipment Khartoum would need to carry out the recommendations.." ii. "Civilians still being brutalized in war zones: UN," by Evelyn Leopold (Reuters), 22 June 2007, http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN2219294820070622 "Despite campaigns to protect civilians in war zones, progress is gradual and failure too obvious in many places in the world, the U.N. emergency relief coordinator said on Friday. John Holmes told the U.N. Security Council that in many areas, such as Sudan's Darfur region, Somalia or Afghanistan, "We are still failing to make a real and timely difference for the victims on the ground." Holmes said there were improvements that would have an effect over time, including indictments against killers by the International Criminal Court as well as more robust peacekeeping missions to help protect civilians. But the statistics were still horrific, Holmes said.." II. SUDAN CONTINUES TO REFUSE TO COOPERATE WITH THE COURT "Sudan will not hand over any citizen to ICC," by Nada S. Mussallam (Khaleej Times), 22 June 2007, http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2007/Jun e/theuae_June576.xml§ion=theuae&col= "A top Sudanese government official has reiterated that his country will not hand over any citizen to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for trial in connection with the Darfur violence. 'We'll not hand over any Sudanese citizen to the ICC because Sudan is not a member of this court (ICC). The Security Council cannot refer Sudanese nationals to be tried at the ICC,' said Dr Mustafa Othman Ismail, adviser to Sudanese President Omer Al Bashir..Speaking to the media in the capital yesterday, Dr Ismail, who is currently on an official visit to the UAE, stressed that the Sudanese government would not succumb to international pressure, especially on decisions that might affect the national security of the country...." ---------------------------------------------------------- CICC's policy on the referral and prosecution of situations before the ICC: The Coalition for the ICC is not an organ of the court. The CICC is an independent NGO movement dedicated to the establishment of the International criminal court as a fair, effective, and independent International organization. The Coalition will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC and to help coordinate global Action to effectively implement the Rome statute of the ICC. The Coalition will also endeavor to respond to basic queries and to raise Awareness about the ICC's trigger mechanisms and procedures, as they Develop. The Coalition as a whole, and its secretariat, do not endorse or promote specific investigations or prosecutions or take a position on Situations before the ICC. However, individual CICC members May endorse Referrals, provide legal and other support on investigations, or develop Partnerships with local and other organizations in the course of their Efforts. Communications to the ICC can be sent to: ICC P.O. box 19519 2500 cm the Hague The Netherlands |
|
|