![]() |
|
|
Browse by Region
|
Recent Statement by Sudanese President Al-Bashir, Human Rights Committee's consideration of the III report of Sudan and EP's adoption of a Resolution on Darfur
23 July 2007
Dear all,
Please find below excerpts from media articles on the recent statement by Sudanese President Al-Bashir, the Human Rights Committee's consideration of the third report of Sudan and the European Parliament's adoption of a Resolution on Darfur. Please take note of the Coalition's policy on situations before the ICC (below), which explicitly states that the CICC will not take a position on potential or pending situations before the court. The Coalition, however, will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC. With regards, Mariana Rodriguez Pareja CICC Spanish Information Services Coordinator and Latin America Analyst [email protected] ****** I. SUDAN'S PRESIDENT AL- BASHIR: "DARFUR NOW SECURE AND PEACEFUL" BUT CONCERNED BY MANDATE OF HYBRID FORCES i. "Darfur now secure and peaceful-Sudanese president," Reuters, 22 July 2002, http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/B268062.htm "Most of Darfur is now secure and peaceful, and the region's negative image is due to 'black propaganda' spread by the United States and Britain, senior Sudanese officials said on Sunday. Following a tour of Darfur's three war-ravaged states, President Omar Hassan al-Bashir rejected foreign intervention in the four-year conflict, in which international experts say 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million more displaced. After opening a number of new hospitals, wells and a renovated football stadium, Bashir catalogued the works his government had done for the region. 'During our visit we confirmed that most of Darfur is now secure and enjoying real peace,' Bashir told around 35 ministers in an open cabinet meeting. 'People are living normal lives.'. Most of Bashir's ministers voiced their support, but one, from the former southern rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement, said the conflict could not be ignored. 'If people continue to say that there's no problem in Darfur then we will never solve the problem of Darfur,' said Minister of Investment Malik Agar. 'It's like a bleeding thumb.' The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued arrests warrants for junior cabinet Minister Ahmed Haroun and an allied militia leader, both accused of conspiring to commit war crimes. Haroun was present at the meeting. Unable to travel outside Sudan or greet international delegations, he represents the ruling party at most official functions." ii. "Sudan concerned by U.N.-AU Darfur force mandate," Reuters, 15 July 2007, http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL15170412.html "Sudan said on Sunday it had reservations about the mandate given to a 26,000-strong U.N.-African Union Darfur force under a draft U.N. Security Council resolution. After months of talks, threats and negotiations, Khartoum finally agreed to the force to bolster 7,000 struggling AU troops and police who have failed to stem the violence which international experts estimate has killed 200,000. 'At the current stage we do not accept it, we have reservations,' said foreign ministry spokesman Ali al-Sadig. 'We are engaged in consultations with the members of the Security Council ... we believe we will come to an agreed language,' he added. He declined to give specifics but said the concerns were not about the number of troops, but the mandate. The draft resolution said the joint force was "authorised to use all necessary means," and was to be deployed under Chapter VII of the U.N. Charter, which would give the troops authority to use force to protect the millions of civilians under threat in Sudan's remote west.. Sadig said that language in the resolution did not conform to the agreement in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last month to accept the joint force. The force was unlikely to deploy before next year. The draft resolution would authorise the world body to begin recruitment for the force. Sudan has said most of the troops should be from Africa. While Sudan's agreement to the resolution is not needed, member states would be concerned the government may obstruct the deployment or operations of the force if Khartoum disagreed with its mandate.. One militia leader and a junior cabinet minister are wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes." II. HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE, 46TH SESSION OF ASIAN-AFRICAN LEGAL CONSULTIVE ORGANISATION i. "Human Rights Committee considers report of Sudan", United Nations Human Rights Committee, July 12 2007 http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/LSGZ-753CZ5?OpenDocument "The Human Rights Committee has considered the third report of Sudan on how that State party is implementing the provisions of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Ibrahim Margani Ibrahim Mohamed Kheir, Permanent Representative of Sudan to the United Nations Office at Geneva, in introductory remarks, underscored that Sudan had done much since its previous report in 1997. The current situation was completely different from what it had been back then. Higher education, ceasefires and a free press were all new things that the Sudanese were now enjoying. The Government was no longer financing government press, and there were now no fewer than six private TV stations in the country, in addition to the official one. Those changes represented a revolution in the area of civil and political rights. While things were not perfect, the current Darfur Peace Agreement, and the collaboration of the Government with the United Nations Security Council and the African Union, represented a milestone towards improving the situation in Darfur.. In terms of Sudan's cooperation with the International Criminal Court (ICC), it should be recalled that Sudan was neither a member nor a signatory to the ICC. Furthermore, the delegation stressed that the ICC did not respect the non-discrimination article of the Covenant, and the Committee should not venture into such political questions. The Sudanese Government had underscored that the ICC was not a competent authority, that it had no jurisdiction, and thus the ICC could not deal with the Darfur case, even if the Security Council transferred it to the ICC. Similarly, Sudan believed that the demands of the Attorney General of the ICC to accuse certain individuals had no legal basis, and that that procedure went against Sudan's right to use domestic law to deal with the situation, as enshrined in the Covenant. Sudan was committed to exercise its domestic law without any kind of discrimination and would use its traditional penal proceedings in the Darfur case.." ii. "Sudan Takes Part in the 46th session of Asian - African Legal Consultative Organization," Suna News Agency, 12 July 2007, http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=upiSUB-2007071218381920&show_article "The Minister of Justice, Mohamed Ali Al-Mardhi, has chaired Sudan delegation in the 46th session of the Asian - African Legal Consultative Organization, which was held in Cape Town, South Africa, during July 2 - 6. The session discussed latest developments relating to the issue of the International Criminal Court, and the positions of the Asian and African countries in this regard, besides human rights in Islam.." III. EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT ADOPTS A RESOLUTION ON DARFUR AND PEACE FORCE PLANNED FOR CHAD i. "Tougher Sanctions on Khartoum Asks EP Resolution On Darfur," US Fed News, 14 July 2007, http://www.europaworld.org/week314/tougher13707.htm "MEPs adopted today in Strasbourg Plenary a resolution on the situation in Sudan's Darfur, following last week's visit of an ad-hoc delegation led by Josep Borrell (PES, ES). MEPs ask Member States of the EU to monitor more strictly the arms embargo against Khartoum and to enforce a no-fly zone over the region. They also call for an in-depth investigation on unpaid African-Union mission soldiers. The resolution condemns the 'blatant violation' of the UN arms embargo by the Government of Sudan as set out in the UN Security Council Resolutions of 30 July 2004 (S/Res/1556) and 29 March 2005.. The resolution urges Sudan to 'arrest Humanitarian Affairs Minister Ahmad Muhammad Harun and Janjaweed leader Ali Kushayb' suspected of war crimes and crimes against humanity and to surrender them to the International Criminal Court.." ii. "Peace Force Planned," Inter Press Service, 17 July 2007 http://allafrica.com/stories/200707170844.html ".'When EU foreign ministers meet, it is important that they remind themselves that the recruitment and use of children under 15 is a war crime,' Leicht added. 'The EU has signed a cooperation agreement with the International Criminal Court. So any EU force deployed to Chad should see itself as a possible provider of evidence to the Court, and assist in possible investigations by the Court.'." *********** CICC's policy on the referral and prosecution of situations before the ICC: The Coalition for the ICC is not an organ of the court. The CICC is an independent NGO movement dedicated to the establishment of the International criminal court as a fair, effective, and independent international organization. The Coalition will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC and to help coordinate global action to effectively implement the Rome statute of the ICC. The Coalition will also endeavor to respond to basic queries and to raise Awareness about the ICC's trigger mechanisms and procedures, as they develop. The Coalition as a whole, and its secretariat, do not endorse or promote specific investigations or prosecutions or take a position on Situations before the ICC. However, individual CICC members May endorse Referrals, provide legal and other support on investigations, or develop Partnerships with local and other organizations in the course of their Efforts. Communications to the ICC can be sent to: ICC P.O. box 19519 2500 CM the Hague The Netherlands |
|
|