![]() |
|
|
Browse by Region
|
Sudan: Media Coverage on Prosecutor Impending Presentation
23 Feb 2007
Dear All,
As announced by an International Criminal Court media advisory yesterday, on Tuesday, 27 February 2007, ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo "will submit evidence, in connection with named individuals, of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur." In this regard, please find below: A. GENERAL MEDIA COVERAGE: in addition to the Reuters article circulated yesterday, other preliminary media coverage of this development by the Associated Press, UN News Service, and Agence France Presse. B. ICRC NEUTRALITY PREVENTS TESTIMONY IN ICC PROCEEDINGS: Jakob Kellenberger, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), has indicated that the ICRC is barred by principles of neutrality and confidentiality from testifying in any ICC proceedings on Darfur. "The ICRC will never be a witness in court proceedings," he said during a press briefing following a 5-day trip to Sudan. Kellenberger also discussed the growing insecurity in Sudan and the ongoing "gross violations" being committed by all sides. C. ANALYSIS AND COMMENTARIES: an in-depth analysis by the Institute for War and Peace Reporting about the political dynamics in Sudan, issues surrounding Sudan's AU chairmanship bid, continuing Sudanese opposition to a "hybrid" peacekeeping force, and the impending ICC announcement. Please take note of the Coalition's policy on situations before the ICC (below), which explicitly states that the CICC will NOT take a position on potential or pending situations before the Court. The Coalition, however, will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC. Warm Regards, Esti Tambay Information and Analysis Officer Coalition for the International Criminal Court **************************************************** A. GENERAL MEDIA COVERAGE 1. Associated Press (via Sudan Tribune), Mike Corder, "International Court prosecutor to present Darfur war crimes evidence next week," 22 February 2007 http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article20396 "The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court will disclose names next week of suspects believed to be involved in atrocities in Sudan's Darfur region and present judges with evidence linking them to war crimes, his office announced Thursday. "Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo will submit evidence, in connection with named individuals, of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur," said a prosecution statement. Once the evidence has been filed with judges on Tuesday, they will study it and have the power to issue arrest warrants if they believe any of the individuals named has a case to answer. It is unclear how long that process might take. [...] Since the U.N. Security Council asked Moreno-Ocampo to investigate possible war crimes in Darfur, his investigators have interviewed scores of suspects around the world and at least two Sudanese officials in Khartoum, but have not been able to visit Darfur itself to search crime scenes for evidence and interview victims. If the judges decide to issue arrest warrants, it remains to be seen if they can be executed. Sudanese authorities have not signed the international treaty that created the court, and claim it has no jurisdiction in the country. "We as a government are willing and able to try all perpetrators of offenses in Darfur, and for this reason the ICC has absolutely no right to assume any jurisdiction," Justice Minister Mohammed Ali al-Mardi told The Associated Press in an interview last month. [...]" 2. UN News Service, "International Criminal Court to Name Darfur War Crimes Suspects Next Week," http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=21654&Cr=sudan&Cr1= "The International Criminal Court's (ICC) chief prosecutor will next Tuesday name the first suspects accused of committing war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sudan's strife-torn Darfur region, a United Nations spokesperson said today. [...] "The Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) announced earlier today that on February 27th, Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo will submit evidence to the Court's Pre-Trial Chamber in connection with individuals suspected of having committed war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur," spokesperson Marie Okabe told reporters in New York. Speaking in December to the Council, Mr. Moreno-Ocampo said that his first case will focus on a series of incidents in 2003 and 2004, when conflict emerged in Darfur as Government forces and allied militia clashed with rebel groups seeking greater autonomy. The UN inquiry also found credible evidence that rebel forces were responsible for possible war crimes, including the murder of civilians and pillage. [...] Speaking to reporters in Austria earlier today, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon outlined recent UN peace initiatives, including a letter he sent on 24 January to Sudanese President Omar Hassan Al Bashir stressing the importance of more support for the African Union mission and also the need for the rapid deployment of a hybrid UN-African Union force to the region. [...]" 3. Agence France Presse, "Darfur crimes to have their day in court," 23 February 2007 (link not yet available) "Four years after the start of a war that gave rise to Africa's latest allegations of genocide, the criminals of Sudan's western Darfur region may soon have their day in court. The prosecutor for the International Criminal Court will present evidence next week of alleged war crimes committed in the Darfur region of Sudan, the court announced Thursday. After evidence is presented, judges will decide whether to open an inquiry against the suspects with the aim of eventually issuing international arrest warrants. Some analysts have said there is little doubt arrest warrants will be issued. Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo has investigated accusations of persecution, torture, rape and murder since June 2006. He has focused on events alleged to have occurred between 2003 and 2004, considered the most violent period involving the crisis in Darfur. His team has visited 17 countries and conducted more than 100 interviews. However, he has been criticized by non-governmental organizations and the UN high commissioner for not sending investigators to Darfur itself, citing security concerns. [...] **************************************************** B. ICRC NEUTRALITY PREVENTS TESTIMONY IN ICC PROCEEDINGS 1. Associated Press (via International Herald Tribune), "ICRC chief says neutral body would never testify in a Darfur war crimes trial," 23 February 2007 http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/23/europe/EU-GEN-Red-Cross-Darfur .php "The international Red Cross is barred by principles of neutrality and confidentiality from testifying if the International Criminal Court holds war crimes trials for those accused of Darfur atrocities, its president said Friday. The International Committee of the Red Cross has the largest presence of any aid group in Darfur and has frequently in the last four years pleaded with both the Sudan's government and Darfur rebel groups to stop what Jakob Kellenberger called "very gross violations of international humanitarian law." Nevertheless, Kellenberger said the neutral ICRC, guardian of the Geneva Convention on the conduct of war, was bound by its strict principles of confidentiality and would never make public the conversations it has held with officials and rebels, or the observations of its nearly 2,000 Sudanese and international staff working in the country. "That's not for the public. That's for the authorities concerned," Kellenberger told journalists at the ICRC's Geneva headquarters. "The ICRC will never be a witness in court proceedings." The issue is a sensitive one for the ICRC, which is frequently criticized for refusing to go public with its denunciations of atrocities, most notably during the Holocaust. [...] The office of the international court's prosecutor said Thursday he would disclose names next week of suspects in Darfur atrocities and present judges with evidence linking them to war crimes. The judges will have the power to issue warrants, but it remains to be seen if they can be executed. Sudanese authorities have not signed the international treaty that created the court, and claim it has no jurisdiction in the country." 2. Reuters, Stephanie Nebehay, "ICRC sees "gross violations" by all sides in Darfur," 23 February 2007 http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSL23551978._CH_.2400 "The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warned on Friday that growing insecurity jeopardised its aid operations in Sudan's Darfur region, where it is often alone in addressing massive needs. Jakob Kellenberger, speaking after a five-day trip to Sudan which included stops in Darfur, also said all sides of the conflict were committing human rights violations against civilians. "It is a context of very gross violations of international humanitarian law, with a main responsibility on the government side, but not only on the government side. There have also been gross violations on the side of armed groups," he said. Kellenberger said he stressed to all parties of the four-year-old conflict that the agency needed a safe environment to continue its life-saving work. "What is widening is the gap between needs and the possibility of access. It is a very serious concern," he told a news conference in Geneva. "I do expect parties to the conflict to really respect the security of our staff. ... Our main problem is banditry and criminality in the region," he added. [...] Both government and rebel authorities had "clear responsibilities" to uphold international humanitarian law and protect civilians and aid workers, he said. The International Criminal Court (ICC) is due to name the first suspects accused of committing war crimes in Darfur next Tuesday, with investigators citing evidence of rape, torture, murder and sexual violence in the region. Kellenberger said ICRC officials would not testify to the international court on atrocities in Darfur, in keeping with its neutral role in armed conflicts. [...]" **************************************************** C. ANALYSIS AND COMMENTARIES 1. Institute for War and Peace Reporting (IWPR), Stephanie Nieuwoudt, "Al-Bashir Calls World's Bluff on Darfur," 16 February 2007 http://www.iwpr.net/?p=acr&s=f&o=333337&apc_state=henpacr "Fearing that President Omar al-Bashir may be on a list of Sudanese to be indicted soon of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sudan's western region of Darfur, the African Union's heads of state and government have lost their collective nerve and withdrawn their undertaking to appoint al-Bashir as their new chairman. Having promised the Sudanese president the top AU post a year ago, their credibility and that of the AU itself was at stake when the leaders convened for their annual summit in Addis Ababa at the end of January. They knew that if they kept their word, pledged a year earlier at their summit in Banjul, Gambia, they would create a bizarre situation and leave themselves wide open to severe criticism and ridicule. [...] The message the AU would have sent to the world was that it condones impunity. [...] But Jendayi Frazer, the United States' Under-Secretary of State for Africa, attending the summit, did not mince her words, "The AU's choice clearly shows that African leaders want the conflict in Darfur to end. I hope Bashir heard the message loudly." The withholding of the promised chairmanship from al-Bashir hinged on the question of whether the situation in Darfur had improved in the past year and whether Sudan had honoured peace agreements it has signed. In fact, most analysts are agreed that the crisis in Darfur has deteriorated since January 2006, with an increase in attacks by government forces and its militia allies on the civilian population and rebels in the vast western region which is about the size of France. [...] The six Aid organisations [Oxfam International, Save the Children, Action Against Hunger, Care International, the Norwegian Refugee Council and World Vision] said in their statement [to the AU Summit] that splits in the rebel movements and a widespread lack of accountability "have left Darfur increasingly lawless, leading to the direct targeting of aid workers". [...] At a media conference held in Addis Ababa by a group of 40 non-governmental organisations opposed to the proposed chairmanship of al-Bashir, spokesman Alioune Tine drew attention to a statement made by President Paul Kagame of Rwanda. "Kagame said what is happening in Darfur is the mass extermination of people," said Tine. "It reminds him of what happened during the Rwandan genocide of 1994." [...] Sudan expert Professor Eric Reeves, of Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, said it takes little analysis to realise that al-Bashir and his National Islamic Front, NIF, government have no intention of ever allowing the AU-UN "hybrid operation" to begin. "Yet the world continues to pretend that al-Bashir and the NIF have somehow agreed to such a putative force, even when all the evidence argues against such a conclusion," said Professor Reeves. "Such empty bluffs, and all they imply are not lost on Khartoum's ruthless survivalists. [...] Fiona Lortan, senior political officer in the AU's defence and security division, told IWPR that the situation in Darfur will not improve unless the government accepts the entire "hybrid" peacekeeping package. [...] Meanwhile, the Khartoum government is waiting with bated breath for the impending announcement by Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, of indictments for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in Darfur. The ICC is believed to have been investigating 56 people. Fear that charges and warrants for arrest will be laid against al-Bashir was one consideration for the AU when it withheld its chairmanship from Sudan's head of state. But, based on its record so far, the fledgling ICC will avoid laying charges against "big men" and concentrate its huge resources on "small fry" - in which case al-Bashir and his NIF colleagues will be able to celebrate at having called yet another of the world community's bluffs on Darfur." **************************************************** CICC'S POLICY ON THE REFERRAL AND PROSECUTION OF SITUATIONS BEFORE THE ICC: The Coalition for the ICC is not an organ of the Court. The CICC is an independent NGO movement dedicated to the establishment of the International Criminal Court as a fair, effective, and independent international organization. The Coalition will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC and to help coordinate global action to effectively implement the Rome Statute of the ICC. The Coalition will also endeavor to respond to basic queries and to raise awareness about the ICC's trigger mechanisms and procedures, as they develop. The Coalition as a whole, and its secretariat, do not endorse or promote specific investigations or prosecutions or take a position on situations before the ICC. However, individual CICC members may endorse referrals, provide legal and other support on investigations, or develop partnerships with local and other organizations in the course of their efforts. Communications to the ICC can be sent to: ICC P.O. Box 19519 2500 CM The Hague The Netherlands |
|
|