![]() |
|
|
Browse by Region
|
DRC: Latest ICC Announcements; Outreach in Bunia, Béni; UN Envoy on ICC,
12 Mar 2008
Dear Colleagues,
Please find below information on recent developments related to the International Criminal Court's investigation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This digest includes the latest ICC press releases informing the joinder of the cases against Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui, the decision not to hold part of the first trial in the DRC and outreach discussions in Bunia (Ituri) and Béni (North Kivu); reports on the UN Special Envoy in DRC's visit to Bunia where he outlined the differences between the MONUC and ICC mandates; and analysis and commentaries by Institute for War and Peace Reporting. Please take note of the Coalition's policy on situations before the ICC (below), which explicitly states that the CICC will not take a position on potential and current situations before the Court or situations under analysis. The Coalition, however, will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC. Regards, Linda Gueye CICC Communication Section [email protected] ------------------------------------------------ I. LATEST ICC PRESS RELEASES i. "Joinder of the cases against Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui," ICC press release, 11 March 2008, http://www.icc-cpi.int/press/pressreleases/347.html "Pre-Trial Chamber I decided, on 10 March 2008, to join the cases of The Prosecutor v. Germain Katanga and The Prosecutor v. Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui. The hearing on the confirmation of the charges in the case of The Prosecutor v. Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui shall start on 21 May 2008. In joint cases, each suspect shall be accorded the same rights as if such suspect were being tried separately. Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui are both being prosecuted for their alleged co-responsibility for the crimes allegedly committed during and in the aftermath of the joint attack on the village of Bogoro, Ituri, by the Patriotic Resistance Force in Ituri (FRPI) and the National Integrationist Front (FNI), on 24 February 2003. " 10.03.2008 - Decision on the Joinder of the Cases against Germain KATANGA and Mathieu NGUDJOLO CHUI ICC-01-04-01-07-257 - Original: English http://www.icc-cpi.int/library/cases/ICC-01-04-01-07-257-ENG.pdf ii. "Global court won't hold first trial in Congo," Reuters, 12 March 2008, www.africa.reuters.com/top/news/usnBAN257895.html "The International Criminal Court said on Wednesday it had decided not to hold part of its first trial -- that of a Congolese militia leader accused of using child soldiers -- in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The trial of Thomas Lubanga at the world's first permanent war crimes court had been due to start in March, but proceedings were delayed after Lubanga's lawyers said prosecutors had not disclosed all the evidence as stipulated by the court. Presiding Judge Adrian Fulford told a status conference on Wednesday he did not expect the trial to start before June 23. Fulford said the court had looked into holding part of the trial in Congo but decided against it after Kinshasa said it was concerned that doing so could fuel ethnic tension. 'The entirety of this trial will be conducted in this courtroom in The Hague,' Fulford said. ...On Tuesday, the court decided to join the cases of its two other suspects in custody, allied Congolese militia leaders Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo, and said a hearing to confirm charges against them would start on May 21...." iii. "The ICC organises open discussions in Bunia (Ituri) and Béni (North Kivu)", ICC press release, 10 March 2008, http://www.icc-cpi.int/press/pressreleases/345.html "From 25 February to 3 March 2008, the Field Outreach Unit of the International Criminal Court, in collaboration with the Victims Participation and Reparations Section, organised a series of meetings in Bunia, Ituri and Béni in North Kivu (the DRC). These meetings, which were organised as part of the Unit's tireless efforts to provide information and raise awareness in the affected communities drew a total of 367 people. In Bunia, apart from representatives of human rights organisations, key civil society groups and quarter heads, the meeting involved women's organisations who were participating for the first time, and young people, many of them former combatants. Some participants were drawn from organisations based in other towns of Ituri, such Kasenyi, Aru, Mahagi and Mambassa. The main focus of the meetings was the latest developments in the Thomas Lubanga Dyilo, Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngundjolo cases. However, the victim participation process was also covered. Interest, particularly on current issues, was so sustained that the discussions were often quite animated and lasted many hours. Many participants expressed pleasure at attending the meetings, which both dispelled some misunderstanding and reassured them as to the Court's policy of transparency with regard to the upcoming trial of Thomas Lubanga Dyilo. After the Bunia meetings, the mission went to Béni in North Kivu. This was the first time representatives of the International Criminal Court visited this region for outreach purposes. Béni is the closest North Kivu town to Bunia. In fact, it has been a place of refuge for thousands of people who fled the fighting in nearby Ituri. Many associations working with or for victims of the Ituri conflict are based there. As in many towns of Eastern DRC, Béni also suffered from the crisis engendered by the country's various wars. In all, six open discussion sessions were held in Béni. The first meeting saw the attendance of 59 human rights and development associations. The town's legal practitioners, led by the Public Prosecutor for Béni, also took active part in this meeting. The other sessions were devoted to students, representatives of women's associations and religious denominations, and journalists. Several subjects were discussed and explained, in particular the role and rights of victims, information dissemination mechanisms, and outreach activities." II. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR THE UNSG VISITS BUNIA AND DISCUSSES ICC i. "Congo-Kinshasa: Province Orientale - Bunia, Alan Doss éclaircit les compétences de la Monuc et celles de la CPI", Le Potentiel (RDC), 5 mars 2008 http://fr.allafrica.com/stories/200803041289.html (French) "While visiting Bunia, in the region of Ituri, the Special Envoy for the UN Secretary General in DRC, Mr. Alan Doss, listened to the local parlementarians who spoke in favor of militia leader Mathieu Ngudjolo, recently arrested by the International Criminal Court (ICC). They demand that MONUC makes pressure on the ICC to have the prosecution temporarily suspended for Ituri warlords [...] Those parliamentarians justified their initiative by explaining that the transfer of Colonel Mathieu Ngudjolo, former FNI leader, did not facilitate the peace process in Ituri [...]. '[...] We are not saying that Ngudjolo should not be arrested, everyone needs to be accountable for their own acts. I just think that to do that, we need to find the most appropriate time,' said one parliamentarian. In response to their request, the head of MONUC explained that the ICC has a different mandate and that MONUC has its own mandate. The ICC is acting independently. According to Allan Doss, 'For us, the International Criminal Court is completely independent and autonomous. It does not depend on me. The decisions, trials, all those are their own, particularly the prosecution and arrest process.' Translation is unofficial and provided by the CICC Secretariat. III. ANALYSIS/COMMENTS i. "Kivu Peace Deal Failing to Deliver," IWPR, 19 March 2008, http://www.iwpr.net/?p=acr&s=f&o=343304&apc_state=henpacr "...Dozens of warring militia groups signed the January 23 agreement in the provincial capital Goma, pledging to put down their weapons and demobilise. But nearly two months later, those displaced by the fighting say the troubled eastern province continues to be gripped by violence and insecurity. 'I believe that participants of the conference fooled us,' said one man who told IWPR his family were recently attacked by men loyal to the rebel leader Laurent Nkunda. Only two weeks earlier, they had returned home from a camp for internally displaced people, IDPs, after being assured it was safe. 'If they agreed to stop the war, why then are we still getting constantly attacked? Where is the peace that they promised us? They went to have fun in Goma, that's all. When will there be an end to this miserable life of destitution and wandering?' Those displaced by the fighting told IWPR that the peace deal is being violated by all sides, with clashes between Nkunda's troops and various Mai Mai militia groups occurring regularly. They say attacks by rebels against villagers, including sexual violence, are also still common. ...Vicky Nkoji, who works at Bulengo, told IWPR that the refugee crisis has also had an impact on the local population, with even those who aren't displaced coming to the camps for food. 'Poverty is leading the Goma population to sponge off the displaced persons when there is an [aid] distribution,' said Nkoji. ...The prospect of justice for their attackers - even far away at the International Criminal Court, ICC, in The Hague - offers some comfort for those living under such terrible conditions. Many believe that without justice, the victims and their tormentors will struggle to ever live together in peace. 'They must be tried at the ICC like Thomas Lubanga,' said Amani Amahoro, a Mugunga IDP." ii. " Lubanga Trial Delay Concerns," IWPR, 29 February 2008, http://www.iwpr.net/?apc_state=hfrfacr343028&l=en&s=f&o=343295 "The judge hearing the case against Congolese militia leader Thomas Lubanga has expressed concern at continuing delays to the start the International Criminal Court's first-ever trial. The case was set to begin March 31at ICC courtrooms in The Hague but now seems unlikely to start before mid-June and could be pushed back even further. 'I will make no secret of the fact of my real frustration, already expressed in no uncertain terms in open court, about delays in getting our first trial up and running,' said British judge Adrian Fulford recently to a group of diplomats and human rights representatives in The Hague. The warrant for Lubanga's arrest was issued in February 2006 when he was in custody in his native Congo, and one month later he was transferred to the ICC. Judges confirmed the charges - conscripting and enlisting child soldiers - in January 2007. 'We are now over a year later and the inevitable and pressing question is why has the case not started?' said Fulford. Failure by prosecutors to disclose to the defence all its evidence and the identities of witnesses testifying against Lubanga is one reason for the sluggish preparations for the trial, said the judge. That was supposed to happen by mid-December but by mid-February the defence had received the identities of less than half the witnesses. Other crucial evidence had been provided only in redacted or summary form, said the judge. 'In order for [Lubanga] to prepare to meet the witnesses and the documentary material that will be used against him, he is entitled to have been in possession of that evidence, essentially in its entirety, not later than three months in advance of the trial,' said Fulford. 'Our view, founded in basic notions of fairness, is that he should not be expected to confront a case which he has not had adequate opportunity to investigate, analyse and meet.' A spokesperson for the office of the prosecutor told IWPR that the disclosure delays related to witness protection and the difficulties of conducting a trial during an ongoing conflict when 'violent militias' are still 'active and influential' in Ituri. '...The prosecutor will not put any of the witnesses at risk by disclosing information before they are adequately protected,' she added, stressing that prosecutors have 'disclosed to the defence all the identities of witnesses who have been adequately protected by the registry.' But there are other reasons for the long delay to the ICC's historic first case...." ********************************** CICC's policy on the referral and prosecution of situations before the ICC: The Coalition for the ICC is not an organ of the Court. The CICC is an independent NGO movement dedicated to the establishment of the International Criminal Court as a fair, effective, and independent international organization. The Coalition will continue to provide the most up-to-date information about the ICC and to help coordinate global action to effectively implement the Rome Statute of the ICC. The Coalition will also endeavor to respond to basic queries and to raise awareness about the ICC's trigger mechanisms and procedures, as they develop. The Coalition as a whole, and its secretariat, do not endorse or promote specific investigations or prosecutions or take a position on situations (potential and current), or situations under analysis before the ICC. However, individual CICC members may endorse referrals, provide legal and other support on investigations, or develop partnerships with local and other organizations in the course of their efforts. Communications to the ICC can be sent to: ICC P.O. Box 19519 2500 CM The Hague The Netherlands |
|
|